Kids, DO try this at home!
Below is a list of our tutorials, grouped by category. If you have a question, feel free to contact us!
- How To Enter (And Survive!) A Costume Masquerade – Thinking about entering your costume in a contest, but not sure how they work? Here are tips for entering, presenting your costume to the judges, and comporting yourself properly at a convention masquerade.
- Firearms for Cosplay – Most cosplayers aren’t trained in proper weapon handling (movies and video games get it wrong, too!), but even fake guns can be a serious legal risk if not handled safely. Learn how to pose with your prop gun realistically, as well as conduct yourself safely around the public and security personnel.
- Costume Weathering & Distressing – A guide to making your costume look more realistic by adding wear, dirt, or battle damage. Includes techniques for both fabric and non-fabric costume elements.
HAIR & WIGS
- Long Hair & Short Wigs – Do you have long or thick hair that interferes with your ability to wear wigs? This photo tutorial shows how to get three feet of hair up under a two-inch wig (without looking like you’re hiding a hamster under your scalp).
- Permanent Spiral Curls – Does your wig or hairstyle require tight tube-shaped curls? Here’s a tutorial for making permanent, self-contained spiral curls (using synthetic hair) for Baroque, Rococo, Regency or Victorian looks.
SEWING & PATTERNING
- Bias Tape: A Guide For Beginners – An easy tutorial for sewing novices! Learn the correct way to apply bias tape or contrast trim around the edges of a garment. With photos!
- Tips for Choosing the Right Fabric – It’s about more than just color or pattern! Fabric choice makes a big difference in the outcome of your sewing project.
- Historically Accurate Hakama – Hakama patterns can be extremely difficult to find and even harder to understand, but the garment itself isn’t nearly so complicated. Don’t settle for skater pants when you can make your clothing historically accurate!
- Sequined Appliqué (Flash Gordon) – A demonstration of making a stable appliqué design out of stretch microsequin fabric.
- Appliqué Video Tutorial – Archived Twitch livestream in which Alena discusses and demonstrates the complete process of fabric appliqué.
- Basic Makeup for Cosplay FAQ – Nearly every costume looks better with makeup! Learn the basics of choosing and applying makeup in this FAQ.
- Basic Contouring – Change the shape of your face to match your character, or just make your face photograph better using contour shading!
- Nude Lips For Cosplay/Crossplay – Lips too red or too full for your character? Learn how to minimize them with cosmetics.
- Water-Based Pancake Makeup: Mixing & Applying – This video tutorial demonstrates how to properly mix and apply water-based theatrical makeup for best opacity and coverage.
- Captain Jack Harkness Makeup Demo – In this video tutorial, Alena demonstrates her makeup process for crossplaying Captain Jack (Doctor Who/Torchwood).
SHOES & BOOTS
- Invisible Shoes for Barefooted Characters – Bare feet are prohibited at most conventions and in many public spaces, but that doesn’t mean your costume has to be spoiled by unsightly shoes! These invisible shoes cost only a couple of dollars and are simple to make.
- Boot Cuffs & Contrast Lining – An easy way to create Robin-Hood-inspired footwear that can be modified to fit a variety of costumes.
- Quick & Easy Superhero/Sailor Senshi Boot Mod – Need boots with shaped tops and contrast trim? Alter boots for Sailor Moon, Wonder Woman, or a variety of other costumes in just a few steps.
PROPS & ACCESSORIES
- The Essential Cosplay Arsenal, Part 1 – Safety Equipment – A basic guide to equipment and safety for beginners who are just starting out in prop-making.
- The Essential Cosplay Arsenal, Part 2 – Basic Power Tools – Now that you have the safety gear from part 1, it’s time to talk about the tools you can use to make props (and where to get them)!
- Creating a Thermoplastic-Friendly Workspace – If you don’t have a workshop, it’s okay to use heat guns and (nontoxic) thermoplastics in your home! But it’s a good idea to take some safety precautions so you don’t lose your security deposit or burn down your house. Here are a few inexpensive ways to heat-proof your workspace.
- Intro to Basic Resin Casting – Want to try resin casting, but not sure where to begin? Afraid of noxious chemicals? This step-by-step photo tutorial describes the different kinds of resin and demonstrates mold-making and casting small resin items.
- Flynn Scifo (Tales of Vesperia) Ultra-Light Shield – A walkthrough of the construction of a lightweight shield using EVA foam and Worbla.
- Product Review: Flexbond – In which we put Flexbond to the test on EVA foam and Worbla.
- The Angel Wing Tutorial – A guide to making large movable wings and mounting them on a body support harness.
- Ianto Jones (Torchwood) Stopwatch – In her quest for a more accurate prop, Alena replicates a $300 antique watch for around $10 in materials.
- Fay D. Fluorite Staff (Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE) – A walkthrough of the construction of this large prop using foam, Worbla, PVC and wood.